It's official folks, after 5 years between both kids, I am officially done nursing! It didn't end as I had planned it in my mind, but nonetheless, Jared is no longer nursing because 'Nursies are for babies.'
The other morning, we woke up and Eric decided that he was going to tell Jared he could no longer nurse. It broke my heart to see him cry, and quite frankly was not my plan for ending nursies. I didn't want to contradict what Eric had told him, so I didn't let him nurse, but the result was both me and him crying all morning.
Eric didn't understand why I was crying, but anyone who has ever stopped nursing knows the mixed emotions that comes with that. Nursing is more than just nutritional, it creates a bond, it is quiet down time for both, and a comfort tool. While all those can be done in other ways, when that is what your child knows, I think it takes time to transition from the only thing they have ever known. While nothing is 100%, that could have been my last time nursing and I wanted it to end on a happy note, not an emotional tantrum.
Ever since then, Jared reminds himself daily that 'nursies are for babies and cuddles are for big boys.' This means we have had lots and lots and lots of cuddles, and I am dreading the day he is too big or doesn't want to cuddle anymore.
More than anything, I think it's a reality check that my babies are growing up!
Mixed Feelings
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment