Saturday, August 4, 2012

Mother Nature Takes Over

It was pretty devestatimg to watch the state of Colorado go up in flames and not be able to do anything about it or be there to support anyone going through it.  Just as things started to settle with the fire, my mom came to visit.  The night she was supposed to drive in, we had the worst rain/wind storm I have ever witnessed.  It left 85% of the state without power (luckily we were of the 15% that did), in the hottest days of the  year.  She ended up driving in the next morning and was luckily able to find gas a long the way.

The kids, Eric, and I had all just finished eating and I was going to take Eric's car to the grocery store while he took the kids home in my car.  As I was standing there waiting for his key, tree branches started flying at me.  I quickly got in the car and he got in his and we bolted, just as the power went out and umbrellas flew into cars everywhere in the parking lot. 

As we were driving home, lights were out, people were in panic mode driving like crazy, and I almost stopped at one point to seek shelter as I thought I was going to be blown up and off the road.  Stop lights were horizontal, stop signs blown in half, trees down everywhere.  It was the craziest thing I have ever seen, let along driven through.  Luckily, as I went to make my turn to seek shelter I had gotten just ahead of the storm and was able to make it home before it hit us. 

Here is a picture of the pretty sky afterwards.



The neighbors trampoline (that was staked into the ground with 8inch stakes) ended up mangled in our backyard. 


Huge trees had fallen everywhere.


The lines for gas at the few stations that had power were hours long, and by the time you got to the front they were out. 





All in all lit was crazy, and power was out for most for 5-10 days, and just as they were getting power back, we'd get another little storm and knock it back out.  It was absolutely crazy, and I'm very thankful through all of it that we have only ever lost power for 3 hours.  We will be looking into a generator though, as working from home is difficult without power....

No comments:

Post a Comment