Those who know me know that I come up with a lot of great ideas that end up being not-so-great mid project. This was one of those for me. When my mom was here I decided I was going to make a garden at the bottom of our hill after the realization that we will never be able to have a real backyard. We went to Lowes to get all the goods and after realizing it was going to cost about $300 for garden, I opted for a $60 fire pit instead. All I can say is I am VERY thankful I did not do the garden. I would have been digging for a year to get it flat enough. Took me 3 hours just got dig 2 feet of flat.
Before
First, I had to wheel barrel all the bricks from the back of my car down to the back of the house. It was about 100 degrees outside and if you have seen our lot, it is REALLY steep. To get them down the hill to the fire pit I thought I would try and roll them...turns out, that was a bad idea. I had to come up with a plan that used 29 bricks instead of 30 because one rolled right off the edge all the way down to the creek.
Mallory had to run the hose on the ground right where I was digging because I was shoveling rock/hard clay. Afterwards I had to carry each brick down one at a time. This hill doesn't look steep, but come walk it once and you will have sympathy. I had a lot of blisters and had to stop and drink a bottle of water after each brick. Luckily, Mallory and Jared were content with playing with mud while I worked. I could not walk for a week I was so sore.
The end result.
Even though it was 100 degrees and humid, after all I went through, I was going to use the fire pit. So we made a fire, made some smores (which were already melted because of the heat) and then went to bed. I'm pretty sure Eric was wondering why he married me at that point :) He wasn't around when I built it, so he didn't quite understand why I was determined to use it.
Mallory wasn't complaining.
Expect a lot of bonfires in the fall :)












No comments:
Post a Comment