I was walking outside one day and found a snail in our driveway. I didn't think there was anything in the shell, so I just put in a bowl with dirt so I could show Mallory. The next morning something came out.
On my way home, I stopped at Petsmart to get a cage (which they knew nothing about land snails and told me it would die in a few days - um, it's been at least a month now).
Mallory named him Rain (I'm pretty sure because it was raining outside).
The following pictures make you think that snails are pretty active. Well they aren't. They are actually really boring pets. Rain consistently crawls to the top of the cage, suctions himself to the corner until the slime hardens, and then pulls himself back in his shell. I take him off and put him down again just so I can see him crawl back up.
I kept looking for a friend, not really knowing if snails were social creatures or not, because I was thinking that being alone was causing some kind of snail depression. After a few weeks we found Mr. Snail (creative name, I know). As soon as we put Mr. Snail in with Rain, Rain immediately crawled down from the top corner of the cage to greet him.
I thought this would make them more social. Turns out, snails must like to curl up in the top of the cage, because now they both pick their corner and go about their cocooning business. I am curious about the life span of snail...only time will tell I guess.






No comments:
Post a Comment