Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Things I will Miss about Dayton #3: Dorothy Lane Market/Diaper Derby

So you are probably thinking, wow, the only thing I will miss is food related.  Well, I do love food, but I promise you that the missed people posts are coming.

For those of you who don't know, Dorothy Lane Market is a mix of a regular grocery store with a natural foods grocery store.  They have the best bakery and speciality desserts.  Mallory especially loved their chocolate turtles,that were actually in the shape of a turtle.

A couple weekends before we left, Dorothy Lane Market put on their annual Diaper Derby.  I took Jared and it was quite the event.

I didn't really know what to expect. We got there a little early and the cashier told us it was around the corner of the store. As I rounded the corner, I saw this group of people in running gear and I was wondering what kind of parent I was to enter my child in some crazy psycho contest where parents were prepping their 1 year olds for a race.  Luckily it was just the running club stretching after their early Saturday run.
The racing ground.
The gift bags for all the contestants.
Ethan pre-race.
Mallory needed a contestant number on her back too.
Jared pre-race.
They sent them off in groups of four and the first one to cross the line went to the next round.
Some kids were screaming but the parents made them tough it out and cry until they either crossed the line or until someone else did.  I can't imagine what kind of expectations and pressure those kids will have when they actually start playing sports.  It's just a diaper derby people, is it really worth letting your baby scream all for the chance to win a $50 bond.  Really?
I didn't actually get a picture of Jared because I was trying to entice him to come across.  But Zachary (left) and Ethan (second from the left) are racing below.  Both of them were from Jared's class at school.
The best part of the whole thing is that Ethan and Jared did not move one bit.  They just sat there and looked at us just as content as could be.  It didn't matter what we held up on the other end, they were not about to budge.  Everyone was enticing their kid with something, but Jared is only motivated to crawl if he is coming to nurse, and well, I can't imagine it would have went over too well with everyone if I started shaking that around to get him to go to the other side.  I didn't care to win that bad, and quite frankly, I do believe that could have been considered some kind of indecent exposure, even with the breastfeeding laws that exist in Ohio (which by the way WV does not have - and Eric asked me to please not be that family that forces some kind of law suit that would implement one).
Needless to say, we did not win, but it was fun to go get a final chocolate turtle and cheer on the other crawlers in their chance to be the Diaper Derby 2011 Champion.  The whole time we were there we had some lessons learned we were noting for next year, and then we realized that unless we have more kids, we wont be able to compete in it again. However, if you have a young one and are going to compete next year, give me a call, I can coach you to a champion for a low fee! I wonder if there is a business opportunity out there for Diaper Derby coaching :)

No comments:

Post a Comment